Monday 27 July 2009

The Roasting Plank Company at Milton Abbas

Last Saturday I spent the day with my stall at Milton Abbas Street Fair and had a fabulous day. Milton Abbas is a very picturesque Dorset village and every two years they organise a street fair celebrating their rich history. I even had to dress up and that always adds a sense of occasion.

I love having a stall as it is a great way of spreading the word. Cooking on wood is new for most people in the UK and it is fun watching people's reactions as you explain what it is all about. There was one lady from Texas that bought a cedar BBQ Plank because, as she explained, she was used to using planks for cooking at home. You can even buy them in packs at the supermarket in the US and now she was very happy to finally find BBQ Planks in England. However,for the British, it is a totally new and sometimes surprising idea.


I have to choose my fairs or festivals carefully because my products do not suit non-foodies and I have to go to places where there will be people who are interested in the quality of their food and love new tastes and flavours. Milton Abbas had plenty of these people and I had great fun showing how wood can enhance their food and be a fun way to cook.

People are always so surprised that you can cook on wood, generally the first questions is 'doesn't the wood burn in the oven or on the BBQ' which is the logical result of wood and heat! First, I always show the BBQ Plank and Wood Paper soaking in a container and it is always fun to get people to sniff the wood to smell the sweet, spicy smell of the cedar or earthy, oaky smell of the oak. Showing a BBQ Plank or Wood Paper on my portable BBQ with a slice of steak or salmon or kebab of prawns is important to show that the wood doesn't go up in flames and also the smell of the food and the wood is a great selling tool.

Some people get the concept immediately and they start to discuss the different combinations of wood and food and what a great idea it is. Their wood food imagination has been kick started and this is when the fun begins with The Art of Planking and I know I have made a fellow Wood Foodie. Other people love the idea but are still wary as they have never heard of it before and other people don't get the idea at all !

There is still a lot of work to do in order to truly spread the word about cooking on wood but after each fair, market or festival there are always a few more wood foodies about.

See my website www.theroastingplankcompany.co.uk to see where I will be next, come and say hello and try cooking on wood and see if I can make you into a Wood Foodie.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting technique! I'D like to know more about it - I'll look into it.

    ReplyDelete